Escherichia coli Nissle 1917
Probiotic for the treatment of dysbiosis and inflammatory bowel diseases.
- Maintenance of remission of ulcerative colitis (ECCO guidelines)
- In patients with hyper-sensitivity or intolerance to Mesalazine
- Combined with Mesalazine, to reduce the dosage and enhance its action
- Combined with all the other kinds of treatment (also with biologic drugs) to extend the remission phase and improve quality of life.
- To prevent relapse in patients undergoing postoperative ileocolitis
- Crohn’s Disease, combined with pharmacological therapy
- IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome), post-infectious or secondary to antibiotics
- For the treatment of Symptomatic Uncomplicated Diverticular Disease (SUDD) and prevention of diverticulitis
For the treatment and prevention of recurrent urinary tract infections (cystitis, prostatitis, infections by Candida albicans etc.)
Escherichia coli Nissle 1917 is a natural gut colonizer with remarkable healing properties. It acts mainly in the colon with anti-inflammatory anti-bacterial effect, implementing the intestinal barrier.
Major clinical evidence has demonstrated that the equivalence in terms of anti-inflammatory efficacy between EcN and mesalazine in the maintenance of remission of ulcerative colitis, to the point that nowadays EcN is the only probiotic authorized by ECCO (European Crohn’s and Colitis Organization) for this indication.
Its capacities for adhesion and colonisation, combined with the production of substances with direct antibacterial action (microcins), ensures that EcN is particularly effective to fight off the infections, both gastrointestinal (gastroenteritis, post-infectious IBS, diverticular disease, ecc.) and those relapsing involving the urinary tract as cystitis, prostatitis (especially the ones caused by pathogen E.coli, Klebsiella and Proteus infections) and Candida.
Unless otherwise prescribed by your doctor, dosage for adults and children older than 12 is of 1 capsule for the first 4 days, from day 5 onwards, 2 capsules per day. For children up to 12 years, 1 capsule per day.
The standard dosage should be taken close to mealtime, with plenty of water.
Ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s Disease: EcN should be taken constantly and regularly throughout the whole remission period, according to the advice of your doctor.
IBS: assume EcN continuously for at least 12 weeks
Diverticular Disease: EcN can both be taken continuously for 5 weeks after an acute symptomatic episode, and in monthly cycles to prevent diverticulitis episodes.
Urinary tract infections (cystitis, prostatitis, infections by Candida albicans): EcN should be taken on full dosage (2 capsules a day) per 30 days after the pharmacological treatment. It is important to repeat the EcN assumption in monthly cycles (1 capsule for 20 days per month) in order to effectively prevent the infection relapse.
At the beginning of the treatment, a slight swelling can occasionally occur that normally disappears reducing dosage or dividing it in more administrations (e.g.: one capsule at lunch and one at dinner).
This swelling is transitory and is index of the effective action of EcN in positively modifying the bacterial intestinal flora.
20 enteric-coated capsules, 320 mg each
- coli Nissle 1917 has already been used in the rest of Europe for 100 years, and it is appreciated both for its efficacy and its safe use. It is also recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women and for premature babies.
The probiotic EcN must be kept refrigerated between 2°C and 8°C.
An interruption of refrigeration up to 72 hours does not normally affect the bacterial load. In the event of prolonged exposure to heat, bacteria can lose partially their viable bacterial load, without provoking side effects.
Assumption of EcN with other drugs:
Concurrent use of antibiotics and sulphonamides may limit the effectiveness of EcN.
In particular, EcN is sensitive to antibiotics as quinolones and cephalosporins.